
Prior to moving back to California almost 10 years ago I worked part-time at Mormon Handicraft. You can't be surrounded by that much material and not get a little 'in the mood' for quilting. I bought a 'quilting made easy' pattern for the Irish Chain pattern and decided to give it a try. I decided to buy yellow fabric and give it to Kate for her birthday. I started this quilt prior to moving home (and bought quilt frames too while I could get my discount). This quilt was originally to be a twin size quilt but eventually became a 'lap' size quilt. (Don't ask me how it happened). Well, for the last 10 years it has sat in my pile of unfinished projects. Every once in a while I will think of it only to put it away again. The finishing of the 'back' as well as the binding really got me stuck.
Because of our quilting project this past year I again pulled out this quilt and decided it would not intimidate me! :) Nancy Boyce and Corrine encouraged me to 'just do it'. Because of all of the time I spent on this quilt I decided I didn't want to 'tie' it but quilt it. Nancy told me what I could do to machine quilt it. I went to Joann's Fabric and bought the proper 'foot' for machine. I waited too long to finish it and so I was scrambling a few days before Kate's birthday to finish it. The first three 'lines' I did went fine but it went terribly downhill from there! It became a disaster. I was SO frustrated! In fact, I can't remember the last time I have just cried -- large tears and all! I felt like I had ruined this project and it would never get done. It was such a mess. In my frustration I almost took scissors to it. Instead, I took a break and left the room for a half hour. A day later Corrine convinced me to take the time to unpick it all (what a pain) and I finally just decided to tie the quilt and call it good. Well, Kate finally got her quilt and it is finally off my 'to-do' list. It has taught me a few things - patience being on of the most important.
3 comments:
The quilt turned out beautiful! A few tears just adds to the "flavor" of the quilt!
Way to not give up. It looks great!
I LOVE MY QUILT!!! THANK YOU! THe story makes me a little teary myself when I heard it and just read it again. The quilt mean that much more to me - plus being from my "partner"! :)
On a different note - this is a terrible picture of me. If my hair ever has a shelf on the side again, please stop me from going outside like that! LOL!
Post a Comment